[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:44:38 UTC 2010

On 2/24/2010 1:31 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

>>> We have  an issue with one of our clients , they have a mail server with
>>> the  /var/spool/imap partition as 150 GB . They need to take differential
>>> backup on to /backup partition ( a different HDD  of total 250 GB space )  .
>>
>> You've stated things in terms of solutions. You may possibly get better
>> answers if you state your goal. There is some capability you are
>> trying to achieve. Tell us what that is, and you may make more progress.
>>
>> IOW, what is the purpose of the backup? As one mentioned, RAID may
>> handle your needs.
>
> Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.

Neither is a snapshot in another location on the same machine.  But both
will cover the most likely thing to fail, with raid doing it
transparently, the snapshot losing data from the time the last snapshot
copy happened.  Usually what you want is raid _and_ a history of backups
kept elsewhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com