[CentOS] Backuppc-updates on CentOS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:51:33 UTC 2010

On 2/25/2010 3:44 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed BackupPC on one of my Centos 5.4-machines following the wiki at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC#head-725ed151d366bcf182cea92f765c373900cfc9dc,
> where BackupPC is installed from the c5-testing repo.
>
> root at mach012 ~/ [0]# rpm -qa backuppc
> backuppc-3.1.0-1.el5.centos
> root at mach012 ~/ [0]#
>
> Seeing how there's been some updates to BackupPC in the near past, I thought
> I'd run a yum update to get the updated package. That didn't work. So I
> searched pbone.net for a BackupPC package on CentOS5 but didn't find any.
> Doing the same search for RHEL5 gave me two packages (one for i386 and one for
> x86_64);  v3.1.0-5.
> 	Looking more closely I saw that the RHEL5-packages were from epel, a repo one
> maybe shouldn't choose as a primary repo for ones CentOS-systems if you  can
> help it. At least that's the impression I got from the various posts to this
> list.

No, epel is the best large 3rd party repo in terms of avoiding conflicts
with the base.  They are just not perfect. It's probably impossible to
be perfect without a single point of coordination, but you generally
won't get in trouble leaving epel enabled during updates unless you also
use other 3rd party repos.  They also tend not to have as current
packages as rpmforge, though.

> I thought all packages available from the prominent American upstream provider
> got a treatment from the CentOS crew? Am I wrong or am I missing something
> really basic, or some part of the CentOS philosophy here? Or isn't BackupPC a
> package worthy of being CentOSified? 8-)

There is (was?) a version in centos-testing, but now that epel has it,
there isn't much reason to have a duplicate.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com