[CentOS] SMARTD (?)

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Thu Feb 25 20:25:28 UTC 2010

Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.

And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".

Does smartd cache its info somewhere, or is it reading what fsck already
marked as bad? And this has happened before, under 5.3, and under
continuing current updates of 5.4....

        mark