[CentOS] Temperature sensor

Michel van Deventer michel at van.deventer.cx
Fri Feb 26 16:25:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 17:18 +0100, Dominik Zyla wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:13:56AM -0800, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> > Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> > > Linux?  I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> > > sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> > > if the server room is getting hot
> > There is a good chance that lm-sensors supports your servers with no
> > additional hardware needed. To configure lm-sensors, run
> > 'sensors-detect' as root. If your cpu/motherboard is supported you will
> > be able to read system temps directly either using SNMP or by scraping
> > 'sensors' output.
>
> But it'll not give information about temperature in server room.
I use 1-wire devices with CentOS.
See http://owfs.org/
If you google a bit there are many suppliers who sell complete kits for
serial and USB (I use USB) connections for a fair price.
Maybe it's a bit overkill for 1 sensor, but its easy to connect many
sensors to a machine (I have about 20 :) ).

You can make it really cheap if you have some soldering skills ;)

	Regards,

	Michel