[CentOS] Temperature sensor

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:27:59 UTC 2010

On 2/26/2010 12:11 PM, Dominik Zyla wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:57:52AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Dominik Zyla wrote:
>>> But it'll not give information about temperature in server room.
>> actually, it sorta can.     find the lowest reading sensor on the
>> system, probably one on the mainboard...    use a manual thermometer to
>> read the intake air temp and calculate the delta.
>> i think you'll find under normal operating conditions that delta is
>> pretty constant if the server is under a reasonably consistent workload.
> True.. We're also doing like this in some of server rooms. But sometimes
> we had strange values. So this sort of stuff can be not good enough. :)

If you can get graphs from two different pieces of equipment on the same
page you can pretty much see the trend.  A single device might have a
fan go bad or something - but that should probably be fixed anyway.  On
servers that have variable CPU power you might see temperature
variations depending on the load.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com