[CentOS] how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

Thu Feb 11 10:44:40 UTC 2010
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Hi all,

I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered
using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause
most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of
what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website,
and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).

But, I want to see if CVS, or maybe even a forge script (like in offerforge)
could benefit met. Most of the time when we make changes to the code, we
simply update the version, from say 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and write the changes to
a basic changelog, which in our case is a simple text file calles
changelog.txt

But, how could I benefit from a CVS, ir similar system? And what would be
best for this environment? I installed CVS on my CentOS server, but it seems
that it's not just a matter of creating a tree and dumping code.  I'm not
too worried about multiple users at this stage. All our coding is currently
stored on a CentOS 5.4 Samba server, so we can access to the code from
either a Windows or Linux PC. Do I need anything more?

I started using eclipse+PHP a few months ago and I don't really use it to
its full potential, so I'm sure I could benefit from it more.

So, the question is, what is a good recommended setup to go with? Web based
access to all the files would be nice, then we could access it from outside
the LAN on HTTPS.
And how do I use it to my benefit? For example, clientA wants to make
changes to Project1. Now I have a Project1 in the CVS tree (is this the
right terminology?), and make changes to file contacts.php - what now? Do I
need to create a subfolder called 1.2.2 (for example), and add only the
updated file in this folder, or do I copy the whole Project into the new
folder?

2 weeks down the line I need to make changes to 8 files, what do I do now?

Does this make sense? I realize it could be beneficial to keep older files,
but how does one structure it?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers