[CentOS] unattended fsck on reboot

Wed Feb 17 23:39:14 UTC 2010
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> There are two metrics used:  number of times a FS is mounted and number
> of days since last fsck/mount.  For machines that don't get rebooted
> often (eg servers) the 'number of times a FS is mounted' almost never
> kicks in and the 'number of days since last fsck/mount' does.
>

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
> heller at deepsoft.com       -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Is it "absolutely" necessary to run this on servers? Especially since they
don't reboot often, but when they do it takes ages for fsck to finish -
which on web servers causes extra unwanted downtime.

Or is there a way to run fsck with the server running? I know it's a bad
idea, but is there any way to run it, without causing too much downtime? I
just had one server run fsck for 2+ hours, which is not really feasible in
our line of business.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers