[CentOS] Grub boot loader?

Mon Feb 1 19:08:44 UTC 2010
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your message . When I reboot my CentOS server I see the the menu
> with a timer but I cannot enter to edit my boot kernel by pressing 'e' key .

Perhaps I wasn't clear the first time.  To interrupt the timer, you
press the <space> bar.  You can't edit anything until after that
point.

> Then the timer will expire and the boot process will begin . I want to be
> able to edit my kernel through grub edit so I asked if I can try for
> 'grub-install /dev/hdax' w/o any harm on my CentOS server . Do you mean I
> can edit my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' by vi the same as I want to do inside my
> grub edit ? Are they the same procedures ? Please confirm.

Yes, you can just edit the menu.lst with any text editor.
/boot/grub/menu.lst is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf, same as
/etc/grub.conf.  You have to be root to edit it (them).

grub-install won't do what you want.

mhr