[CentOS] atime, relatime query

Wed Feb 3 21:09:02 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 2/3/2010 2:45 PM, nate wrote:
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
>> But in a production db server, which is backed up by HP DP, is it
>> advisable to mount with noatime?
>
> noatime typically helps when dealing with lots of files, most DB servers
> have a small number of files that are large in size, so noatime is
> likely not to provide any noticeable improvement I think.

On the other hand you are unlikely to miss it on most filesystems,
especially any that you back up with a file-oriented mechanism like tar
or rsync.  The only time it matters is for rare apps like a mail client
that might try to notify you when your mailbox has been written more
recently than the last read.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com