[CentOS] best parallel / cluster SSH

Fri Feb 5 07:27:46 UTC 2010
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 04 February 2010, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I stumbled upon this while looking for something else
>
> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/151340
>
> And it is something I could actually really make use of.  But right on
> that site they list 3 different ones, and so I'm wondering what all is
> out there and what I should use.

In (HPC) clustering pdsh is very popular. It's available in .tgz with
spec-file and rebuilds nicely on c5 with rpmbuild -tb ...

 https://computing.llnl.gov/linux/pdsh.html

A few examples of what pdsh can do:
 - pick hosts with compact expressions: -w n[3-10,44]
 - settable fanout (run on X hosts in parallel)
 - remote command timeout
 - pdcp command that allows the copying of file
 - nifty post-processor that compats output:

 $ pdsh -w n[1-3],n5 uname -r | dshbak -c
 n[1-3,5]
  2.6.18-164.11.1.el5

/Peter