[CentOS] Clustering

Fri Feb 5 14:04:36 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Bo Lynch wrote:

> Whats your thoughts on Vmware server over esxi?
> Really do not want to have to budget for Virtualization if I do not have to.
> Thanks for any info.

There is a free version of ESXi - which is really the same as the paid version
with the cluster management and vmotion functions disabled.  The only reason to
use Server is if you need to drop it on a host that is already running things
natively - or you need to display on the local console.  If you are starting
from scratch, install ESXi on the hardware first and put everything on guests.
You do need a windows box to run the control software when setting it up or
making changes.   It can use the local server's disk for storage, but eventually
you'll probably want to spend money on a reliable disk subsystem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com