[CentOS] Mount USB disk at startup?

Fri Feb 5 16:43:44 UTC 2010
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Ian Forde <ianforde at gmail.com>
> On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:19 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > --On Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:36 AM -0600 Robert Nichols
> > > Looks like that's about all you can do.  USB devices aren't available
> > > until hotplug discovers them, and that's proceeding in parallel with the
> > > rest of the boot sequence.  Be sure to put a timeout in that loop lest it
> > > hang forever if that external device is absent.
> > Even better would be to make the script event-driven and launched by the
> > hotplug process. Then there's no busy-wait.
> Since the OP is looking to have their USB drive mounted before mythtv's
> backend process starts up, I'd recommend disabling the mythbackend
> startup script:
>
> chkconfig mythbackend off
>
> Then doing a manual mount in /etc/rc.local, followed by starting
> mythbackend.
>
> /sbin/mount /dev/sdb1 /wherever
> /sbin/service mythbackend start
>
> Of course, I wouldn't recommend using a USB drive for storing myth
> recordings, as it eventually bite you due to USB2's limited bandwidth...
>
>     -I (also a mythtv user!)

Hum... hoping in in the middle of the conversation but...
I am mounting a usb disk through fstab; and the daemon (bacula) using it never complained...
Aren't the filesystems mounted (rc.sysinit?) before most daemons...?
Otherwise, just create a mounting init script with a starting priority lower than mythbackend.

JD