[CentOS] how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

Thu Feb 11 11:09:43 UTC 2010
Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com>

On 11 February 2010 10:44, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered
> using any code repositories / version control systems for our web
> development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause
> most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of
> what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website,
> and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).

[ snip ]

If you're just getting into source code control, then I'd strongly
recommend bypassing "legacy" systems like CVS and Subversion. Most of
the world seems to be moving to distributed system like git
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29).

You can host your own git repositories, or you can use a third party
hosting service like github (http://github.com/).

I moved all of my projects from Subversion to github
(http://github.com/davorg/) a year ago and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,

Dave...