[CentOS] HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Wed Feb 17 15:49:30 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 2/17/2010 9:02 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> This document relates to a working server with a working Windows 2003
>>> Server installation (as the array utility is for that platform).
>>>
>>> The Proliant Server I have here is shipped "as is", with a handful of
>>> disks. And I have no idea where to start for installing Linux.
>>
>> It depends on the raid controller, but some have the basic utilities in
>> ROM that you access by hitting a specified key at boot-up. Are there any
>> messages about the controller as you boot?
>
> Um, dumb question: do you want a raid there? I mean, you did mention
> /dev/sda and /dev/sdb... if that's all you want, have you just tried doing
> an install? I do that a fair bit on (mostly Dell) servers, but I do
> remember needing a Megaraid driver about 3 or so years ago.

Some controllers don't show drives at all until you create and
initialize volumes.  These can be a single drive if you want, but the OS
won't see anything until after this step.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com