[CentOS] HP Proliant ML150 : how do I access disks ?

Thu Feb 18 07:40:00 UTC 2010
Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org>

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Niki Kovacs a écrit :

> OK, at least I found an answer to this particular problem. I tried the
> US site, which yields many more answers. Unfortunately, no "smart array
> controller".
03:01.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 01)
03:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7901 U320 (rev 10)

You have an Adaptec card. That should work w/o a problem, that card
has been supported by the upstream since release 3. During the boot-up
sequence when it mentions Adaptec, hit the button mentioned on screen.

Make sure that the module is loaded during the installation, it should
have already been. More likely as mentioned before, since you're not
familiar with SCSI volumes, you haven't managed to configure the
arrays correctly.

In all of this thread I am not sure if it's been explained to you
before so let me go on a bit, you might now about this already, if so
apologies, just skip to the next message :)

On most SCSI/SAS enabled servers, the disks are not shown to the hosts
directly. Since these are usually used as servers, they are grouped
for redundancy purposes. As a result until the disks are bundled into
volumes or individually assigned to such entitites, they will not be
visible to the OS. Some disks might be marked as spare.

Since you got this server from an other source, most likely he had
wiped out all of the data from it and removed the RAID configuration.

You must go into the Adaptec configuration ans see how the disks are
bundled up. Most likely they aren't assigned to any volumes. If you
are not seeing any disks in this menu you must check the disk cabling
within the box but do not mess that before you check the configuration
on Adaptec's BIOS.