[CentOS] unattended fsck on reboot

Thu Feb 18 08:54:11 UTC 2010
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Henry Ritzlmayr <fedora-list at rc0.at>wrote:

> >         I don't bother changing the setting for local disks as it is
> >         usually
> >         pretty quick to scan them. You must have a pretty big and/or
> >         slow
> >         file system for fsck to take 2+ hours.
> >
> >         nate

> > This particular server has 2x 500GB HDD's with failry "full" XEN VM's
> > on it, each with it's own LVM volumes, so I guess it's a bit more
> > complex than a normal ext2 system :)
> >

> If you have your XEN VMs in LVM volumes there is no filesystem for fsck
> to check - so no 2+ hours for the physical. Do you mean with "2+ hours"
> the accumulated time for the filesystems in all VMs being checked?
>
> Henry

> Yes, sorry, that's what I meant :)

The server booted up, ran fsck, then each VM, as it booted up ran fsck as
well - which just slowed down the whole process since there's a 5 minute
delay in starting each VM. But by the time most users could reconnect, 2+
hours have lapsed. this particular server wasn't rebooted in 274 days,but
had to reboot for kernel & software updates. Most of the VPS's were running
CentOS 5.3 as well, and come had uptimes of 150+ days plus. The one I
checked was 195 days before the reboot. So, some VPS's came up quicker than
others.

But, how does one get past this? I know we need to reboot from time to time,
but more than often it's (preferably) not sooner than 6 - 10 months, so fsck
will run.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers