[CentOS] mail issue help and need good mail server

Fri Feb 19 19:56:15 UTC 2010
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Thank you for your helping
>>
>> but why user keeps downloading mails what he downloaded before?
>>
>> I check the mail client setting and it works fine
>>
>> If it is not server control, any hints about this problem
>>

> Here's one example: me. When I'm not at home, I read my email via webmail.
> I could, I suppose, d/l it *without* deleting from the server. Then, when
> I get home, I fire up t-bird, and d/l all my mail, this time deleting it.
>
> I might assume that some folks d/l frequently, but do not delete from the
> server, thus saving space on their own system, but storing everything on
> the server.

Are you talking about IMAP or POP3 - they behave differently. With POP
each client location has to download and choose to keep original on
server, otherwise only one client can see the email. With IMAP one has
the option to see the headers and by default leaves the server as the
master. This does put more traffic on an IMAP server as a rule, but I
use IMAP in preference if possible so that I can access emails via my
iPhone and my T-bird clients, but only deal with mail once.
HTH