[CentOS] creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

Tue Feb 23 16:03:49 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> > Hello, sorry for the long email, it's a little hard to explain this issue. The gist of it is that the Ubuntu version of parted allowed me to do something which perhaps should not be allowed i.e. creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive when the partition table is not *gpt* but *msdos*.
> >
> > I am trying to configure 2 identical servers, both are Dell Poweredge 2970 machines with 6 disks in them configured as a RAID 5 with one hotspare, and both give me 2.726TB of space after the RAID 5 is configured. There are slight differences between the BIOS versions and Firmware versions of the LSI disk controller, etc but I'm not sure that matters in this case.
> >
> > Now, I setup server "A" a few months ago and for some reason that I don't remember now I resorted to using a Ubuntu 64-bit LiveCD to create the partitions. Since the disk is larger than 2TB, I had to use 'parted' to create the partitions. So I happily created the partitions I wanted which are below:
>
> I think it is not possible to create partitions lager than 1.7TB
> without gpt partition table.
>
> Of course you can create small boot partition and some lvm partitions
> and combine them to one big lvm volume or use another drive for
> booting and use gpt partition table for big disk..

Random odd thought.  It sounds like you are using a hardware RAID
controller (LSI)?  I know that the old Mylex RAID controllers would
allow you to create multiple *logical* disks on top of a RAID set.  Can
you do this with the LSI RAID controller?  If so, what I would do is
create two logical disks, one 'small' (say 20gig or so) and one large
(whatever is left).  Then, install CentOS on the 20gig logical disk,
using a MS-DOS partition table as CentOS wants to do (I'd do four
partitions: /boot swap / and /home).  *Don't* even try to partition the
big disk.  Just make it an LVM PV and then create a VG with this
physical volume.  Carve out logical volumes as needed.