[CentOS] Recommended PCIe SATA/SAS Controller?

Wed Feb 24 18:04:50 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro
> 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system
> will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

I've had good luck with a ATTO SAS PCIe HBA using with a tape
library. The driver for this particular card wasn't included
with CentOS at the time but might be with the latest version.

http://www.attotech.com/

The drivers are open source, I have no past experience with
ATTO it was recommended to me by a tape backup software vendor
for their performance and stability under linux.

I am using the
"ExpressSAS H644
  Low-Profile 4-Internal/4-External Port 6Gb/s SAS/SATA
  PCIe 2.0 Host Adapter"

nate