[CentOS] Desperately need help with multi-core NIC performance

Wed Feb 24 22:53:56 UTC 2010
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Bobby wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 14:55:22 John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> Pete Kay wrote:
>>
>>> What happens is that at around 2K channels running g711 ( 64k) codec,
>>> all eth0 is used up and no more traffic can go through.
>>>
>> 2000 * 64kbit/sec is 128Mbit/sec, not counting any additional protocol
>>

> Actually if you are running g.711 over VoIP, the overhead brings it up to
> something like 87Kbps per direction.

k, that puts it up around 175Mbit/sec.   (and thats just one way...if
these are full duplex conversations, then there's that amount of data
being recieved AND transmitted from each end.    now we're up to
700Mbit/sec if we're looking at transmit and recieve in and out...