[CentOS] trying to get lm_sensorts to work

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 00:34:12 UTC 2010

On 12/31/2009 10:41 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Jerry Geis<geisj at pagestation.com>  wrote:
>> hi all,
>> I am trying to get lm_sensors to work.
>> did the yum install lm_sensors
>> service lm_sensors start
>> sensor -s
>> and it says no sensors found.
>> did lsmod | grep it87 and
>> it87                   57061  0

Did you run sensors-detect, and if so, which variant of it87 did it detect?

> You may want to read this forum thread:
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=24010&forum=38
> and give the packages from ELRepo a try.
> Akemi

Indeed. The standard it87 driver in 5.4 only supports IT8705F and
IT8712F. I backported additional support for IT8716F, IT8718F, IT8720F
and IT8726F Super I/O chips into the it87 module in ELRepo (kmod-it87),
which will also automatically update lm_sensors as a dependency from the
same repo.

I reported this upstream over 18 months ago and it's now scheduled to be
fixed in 5.5, maybe.

In the meantime, the ELRepo package has the latest updated driver for
this hardware.