[CentOS] which program/command (perl, vi, or sed) is better

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:14:53 UTC 2010

ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have apache log file around 7.6G and record half year
>
> Which program/command (perl, vi, or sed) is better to extract the data by date? and finally I can remove that big file and still keep the record.
>
> I have problem when using vi and it uses up the server memory
>
> Thank you for your help

If the extraction is simple regex matches you could use sed, but I'd recommend
perl because it has additional features that you might need if the program
becomes more complex and it is easier to write in the first place.

But first I'd check to see if any of the available log processing programs will
already do what you want.  If you are looking for summaries with counts by
page/time interval/client IP, etc. they may do what you want.  I like analog
because it is very fast and can deal with multiple files even if the times
overlap and can uncompress them on the fly http://www.analog.cx/ or download rpm
from http://www.iddl.vt.edu/~jackie/analog/.   Or you might like webalizer if
you just have one server/file.

--