[CentOS] mutt execution by daemon

Joseph L. Casale

jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Sat Jan 2 04:21:02 UTC 2010

I have a user w/o a shell that runs an app as a daemon that needs to use
mutt to email an attachment from a script.

During testing when the app was ran as root everything worked:) Now that
we obviously are running as a user w/o a shell this little bit broke. I
used mutt as I needed to send the attachment as mime, and the ability
to specify a muttrc from the cli when executed was useful so we could tweak
the mail headers etc...

Since there is no local mb's at all on this server, are there any mutt gurus
that know off hand how I can manipulate the behavior of mutt to simply send
w/o looking for a mailbox?

Thanks,
jlc