[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Jan 6 22:10:01 UTC 2010

>Joseph, this is a good point, thanks.
>
>Primarily we are talking NFS/SSH/SFTP. Also possibly Samba, CIFS.
>
>Like I said, a storage platform, nothing fancy.

While I have built many, I can tell you that buying a turnkey solution
is *always* worth it if its mission critical. When you piece something
together, you are always in for potential surprises and other caveats.

Like the rest have stated, I can only say that you haven't mentioned
how busy it will be. That might dictate which type of sata drives or
sas for example.

Whatever you do, get a good controller with nvram. I have a lot of LSI
and while they are rock solid, the gui is a piece of sh!t and full of bugs.
I always use the cli unless not possible.

Frankly, I always hated Adaptec, but I have seen mention of them making some
sas controllers that performed better that lsi? Take that w/ a grain of salt,
but next controller I buy, I am shopping around...

jlc