[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jan 8 01:01:26 UTC 2010

Warren Young wrote:
> On 1/6/2010 2:35 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
>> we are trying to set
>> up some storage servers to run under Linux
>
> You should also consider FreeBSD 8.0, which has the newest version of
> ZFS up and running stably on it.  I use Linux for most server tasks, but
> for big storage, Linux just doesn't have anything like this yet.

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-10:03.zfs.asc

Nothing really big but it does kinda leave doubts...interesting that
FreeBSD has absorbed pf and zfs and now claims to be twice as fast as
Linux for mysql/postgresql workloads. Certainly sounds very different
from the FreeBSD 4.4 that I knew.

FreeBSD may now have ZFS support but it does not look quite the same as
it does on Solaris/OpenSolaris.

> I'm not recommending OpenSolaris on purpose.  For the last few years, it
> was the only stable production-quality implementation of ZFS, but with
> FreeBSD 8.0, it just lost that advantage.  I think, as a Linux fan, you
> will be happier with FreeBSD than OpenSolaris.

Serious system administrators are not Linux fans I don't think. I tend
to want to use the right tool for the job like OpenBSD for firewalling
for example. I don't know about you but I find pkg on OpenSolaris to be
more akin to yum or apt than ports and then there is always nexenta if I
really want a complete GNU userland and apt/dpkg. I could not find out
much are ZFS on FreeBSD. Its  man page is just a copy of the Solaris
one. Does it support direct sharing/exporting as nfs/cifs/iscsi like it
does on Solaris/OpenSolaris? Does it support using ZFS for booting and
boot environments and a related upgrade system?

Nice that FreeBSD has improved its zfs support, I remember one person
dissing zfs and pointing to vinum as an alternative but then maybe he
did not know what he was talking about. However, there certainly is a
lot more on vinum than there is on zfs in the FreeBSD manual.

>> storage volume would be in the range specified: 8-15 TB.
>
> That puts you right on the edge of workability with 32-bit hardware.
> ext3's limit on 32-bit is 8 TB, and you can push it to 16 TB by
> switching to XFS or JFS.  Best to use 64-bit hardware if you can.

Probably XFS if you want data guarantees on anything that is not a
hardware raid card with bbu cache since JFS does not support barriers yet.