[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jan 8 01:58:53 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 12:53 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Yes, the Sun Fire X4540 uses software raid but not necessarily zfs...if
>>> you install another operating system that is not Solaris or OpenSolaris,
>>> it won't be zfs.
>>>
>> the thing to note on the Thumper (X4540), each of those 48 SATA drives
>> has its own channel to the system bus.  I believe it uses 6 8-port SATA
>> controllers, each attached to the Opteron's Hypertransport via
>> PCI-Express x4.    this means you can hit some really high aggregate IO
>> speeds...
>
> have you actually tried it ?
>
> cause when I did - the x45xx's/zfs were between 18 to 20% slower on disk
> i/o alone compared with a supermicro box with dual areca 1220/xfs.

I'd imagine that a x4540 setup as md nested raid1+0 should give the dual
Areca a run for its money (okay...not quite in real money terms but you
get the idea) and I wonder what zfs would be like on a dual Areca 1220 box.

> the thumpers make for decent backup or vtl type roles, not so much for
> online high density storage.

I wonder how much that would change with a bbu NVRAM card for an
external journal for ext4 and the disks on md. Unless one cannot add a
bbu NVRAM card...