[CentOS] [OT] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jan 8 02:01:45 UTC 2010

On 01/07/2010 05:28 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> An often overlooked issue is the rebuild time with Linux software raid and
> all hw raid controllers I have seen. On large drives the times are so long
> as a result of the sheer size, if the array is degraded you are exposed during
> the rebuild.

As a point of reference: On a SIL3512 SATA interface, mdraid raid1, 2 x
1 TB disks take just under 6 hrs to resync with moderate load ( this
machine is a mailserver off a 5mbps link to the internet, and rarely
hits > 0.3 load with just usage.

same machine with zero load and the mdadm resync rate bumped to
800000K/sec, it takes just over 3 hrs 42 min. But dont expect to be able
to do anything with the machine during this time.

( I've just done these two syncs today! )

Disks are all : SAMSUNG HD103UJ , and are at 83% data space used of
total capacity.

- KB