[CentOS] Laptop for CentOS-5

Tait Clarridge tait at clarridge.ca
Fri Jan 8 15:01:26 UTC 2010

> How about Thinkpad W500 ? It is a bit expensive, but .. with UBuntu or
> OpenSUSE os.
>
> --
> Eero

I can second this, I recently obtained a Thinkpad W500 and it has been
working flawlessly under Fedora 12. I will hazard a guess that the
wireless may not work out of the box in CentOS, but everything else
*should* be fine.

Plus, with a screen that gets to 1900x1200 I no longer require a second
monitor.

The one I have has:

Core2Duo T9900 @ 3.06GHz
6GB PC3-6500 DDR3
320GB 7200 RPM drive

Fedora 12 is nice because it supports almost everything out of the box,
sounds works 100%, network 100%... etc. The only thing that doesn't work
is the fingerprint reader because fprintd doesn't have support for the
device (I had the same problem on my Toshiba Tecra A10).

Also, as far as I have read, Fedora 11/12 will be the base for the
upcoming RHEL 6 and therefore CentOS 6.x so theoretically if it works in
F12, you will be alright for the next CentOS release.

Tait