[CentOS] Apache/Cluster issue -- Single public IP address

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jan 9 05:29:12 UTC 2010

> My problem is that I only have a single public IP address, to serve my web server
> and my question is this:
>
> Is this the end of the road, for installing apache as a service with ONE public IP
> address??

a cluster like that typically needs THREE IP addresses.  one for cluster
node 1, one for cluster node 2 and one for the shared service, this last
IP will be assigned to the currently active host and will be the one
clients use to connect.   the other two addresses are used for
administration and management.

in addtion, a robust cluster has one or more dedicated networks (these
can be crossover cables, and can/should use private addressing) for
redundant heartbeats