[CentOS] ntpd appears to not be able to query ntp servers automatically?

Ryan Pugatch

rpug at linux.com
Mon Jan 11 18:13:51 UTC 2010

Hello all,

After reboot, one of my servers running CentOS5 no longer keeps its
clock synced automatically.  ntpd is running and I don't see anything
weird being logged.  If I kick off ntpd with 'ntpd -q', it will sync the
clock.  However, if I just rely on ntpd started with 'service ntpd
start', syncing does not happen.

I previously had:

# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
# and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
server 127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

and noticed that ntpd would fail down to using the undisciplined local
clock if I checked with ntpstat.  I commented those out, and now ntpstat
simply says:

unsynchronised
   time server re-starting
    polling server every 64

Any idea as to why ntpd -q will sync, but otherwise the clock will not
stay in sync even when the local clock drifts by several minutes?  It
worked fine prior to reboot.

Thanks,

Ryan