[CentOS] Raising ftp priority?

hadi motamedi motamedi24 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 07:24:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:05 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> hadi motamedi wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply . So the only way is cloning his hard disk .
> > Am I right?
>
> I'd consider using dump to dump each ext3fs file system, then use
> 'restore' to restore each of these dumps to appropriately sized file
> systems for the new target system.   the source system should be shut
> down to single user mode, and all file systems umounted except / when
> you do this.      you can pipe the output of the dump to a ssh command
> to write the dump to drive on a remote system. for instance...
>
>    # dump -0uv /dev/sda2 | ssh root at target -c "restore -rf -  /mnt/var"
>
> where /dev/sda2 is the /var file system on the local system, and
> /mnt/var is the temporary home of the new disk, freshly formatted, with
> the new /usr mounted as /mnt/usr
>
> of course, you repeat this for each file system on the source system.
> See the man pages for dump and restore.  Don't forget to install the
> grub boot loader on this new disk, then move it to the target hardware,
> which presumably is near identical to the original system.

Thank you for your reply . Can you please help me on the real scenario , as
the followings?
My local(source) CentOS server @192.168.0.2
My remote CentOS client @192.168.0.70
On the local system :
#df -m
Filesystem              Mounted on
/dev/hda3                 /
/dev/hda1                 /boot
tmpfs                      /dev/shm
On the local system , issue the followings to make client and server as
identical :
#dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root at 192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"
#dump -0uvf - /dev/hda1 | ssh root at 192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /boot"
#dump -0uvf - /dev/shm | ssh root at 192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /tmpfs"
Can you please confirm if my understanding is right?