[CentOS] High load since passing from rhas3 to centos4.8

fortin.pierre at bell.ca fortin.pierre at bell.ca
Thu Jan 14 19:12:31 UTC 2010

We are migrating HP servers from RHAS3 to centos 4.8. Since, the load average is reaching really high values. Under usage we see loads of 15-20 instead of the 0.5-1.5 we were used to.
I searched a lot for information on such an issue. Iostat, vmstat, top, ps. But I don't get significant hint.
Cpu usage remains low, IO wait remains low, no disks are lagging, no swap usage.

Are there some tool / other way to diagnose why the load average is high? Like which processes are waiting, where they are stuck. Are there calls to drivers or system process that are slow?