[CentOS] Logrotate in CentOS 5.4 more brutal (to httpd at least) than in 5.3?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Jan 15 10:47:40 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010, Christopher Thorjussen wrote:
> I've just updated a few CentOS 5.3 servers to 5.4. One of them were a
> Apache Webserver. Doing a diff/check on the new ".rpmnew" config files that
> are made, I saw that the logrotate command for apache was changed. In 5.3
> it did a reload, but in 5.4 it does a hard kill:

5.4 does a "kill -HUP" which is what "service httpd reload" does too. The -HUP
signal causes http to re-read stuff rather than shutting down.

Still, I don't really understand why 5.4 doesn't use "service reload" which
seems more "correct" (and the init.d script does a little bit of checking
before the kill -HUP too).

*shrug*
 Peter