[CentOS] raid1 creation :: not large enough to join array

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Sat Jan 16 16:05:34 UTC 2010

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Adrian Sevcenco
> <Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I have 2 identical hdd (1002FBYS) with the same firmware, etc ..
>> really
>> identical! when i try to add the second hdd to this raid1 array i have
>> the message that /dev/sdb is not large enough to join array!!
>> on the first hdd i have 100 mb unpartitioned at the end of disk (as i
>> understood that mdadm put there some info...)
>> Anyone, any idea what can be wrong? i already done this procees
>> several
>> times and this is first time i encounter this and i have no idea what
>> can be the problem ..
>
> Make sure the partitions are exactly the same, you can use sfdisk to
> copy the table from a to b.
well, i was doing raid over device (md_dX) but i found out the problem :
even if there are "identical" devices, they have different number of
blocks (hdparm output). how is this possible?
is there a way to restrict the number of blocks that a hdd have?
alternative would be just to clone the first hdd on the "smaller" one
and then add the big one to and raid1 array ...

Did someone seen this situation?
Thanks,
Adrian