[CentOS] UID GID Problems.....

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 19 14:39:13 UTC 2010

> Hoping someone can help me fix something that I apparently messed up, i
> have the issue that when I untar a file as root the uid and gid that get
set
> are not roots'.  I had change a user uid and gid to 1000 via usermo -u
<snip>
If I understand you correctly, the user's files were all uid and gid 1000
(please don't tell me that you're letting RedHat's idiocy of creating a
new user as a new group of their very own, rather than, say, a member of
the group "users"), and you tar'd and then untar'd it, it *should* be the
user's, tar is doing what it's supposed to do, and saving permissions and
ownership.

         mark