[CentOS] Bind data directory borked on update from 5.3 to 5.4

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Jan 19 22:31:33 UTC 2010

Bowie Bailey wrote on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:51:40 -0500:

> Has anyone else seen this problem?

No. I usually see some change in the permissions
(/var/named/chroot/var/named/ loses group write and named logs some
complaints but still works) when updating named. I think I've seen this
happen several times and with the last update as well. I've not taken this
serious as it didn't stop named from working. I assume the write
permissions are only necessary for client DNS updates which I do not use.
I remember there was a more serious problem a year or so ago, when an
update stopped named from working because it overwrote some files.
So, the upgrading experience has been less smooth with named than with
other packages, but I haven't seen what you experienced.

Kai