[CentOS] error rsyncing large file

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:43:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Joseph L. Casale
> <jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>> Trying to rsync a rather large file from a windows server to a centos server
>> and all but this is working fine.
>>
>> As it's a 20 gig file I am trying to send the diff of with a -c, I suspect over
>> the low bandwidth this presents an issue. I also stage this file locally on another
>> centos server and could calc the diff and create a patch and send that, comparing
>> checksums etc...
>>
>> A quick look at bsdiff and bspatch and the mem requirements on my 20 gig file make
>> that solution rather not acceptable.
>>
>> Anyone know a better solution to accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> jlc
>

> I don't understand why the diff shenanigans.  Rsync has that built-in,
> so you shouldn't need to be doing that as a separate step.
>
> If it is a file size limit, you could try to split(1) the file, then
> rsync the chunks.  You might also try cygwin 1.7, which has improved
> the support for modern Windows OS dramatically.

Try adding

    --blocking-io

to rsync flags.

It's the default on Linux if you're using rsh or remsh.

Also, "low bandwidth" is undefined.

In any case, try changing the bandwidth

    --bwlimit=KPS

Note, I have no idea if these flags work in the Windows version of rsync.

--
      Enjoy global warming while it lasts.