[CentOS] trouble shooting slow ssh logins

aurfalien at gmail.com

Thu Jan 21 19:46:25 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I noticed that my ssh logins to a particular server were taking up to
5 seconds to finally login.

My tcpdump -vv weren't producing much output (not good) and my pings
to and from that host were normal and almost identical to other hosts
on my subnet that had no ssh login delay issues.

Log files also showed nothing alarming.

My hosts file was missing this at the very end of the file;

::1		localhost6.localdoamin6	localhost6

I chose to disable ipv6 during install but no big deal that I needed
that line.

My question is;

What tools could I have used to trouble shoot this as packet sniffers
on the switch port or the host didn't seem to do the trick, nor did
log file analysis?

I just had a hunch and decided to look at my hosts file, not the most
effective way to fix issues but one I've used several times.

Thanks in advance,
- aurf