[CentOS] totem: something wrong with gstreamer-plugins-ugly

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Sun Jan 24 23:06:29 UTC 2010

On 01/24/2010 04:59 PM Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> ken wrote:
> <snip>
>> Then I found and read
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?action=show&redirect=Repositories.
>
> as stated on that page, mixing 3rd party repos does not always work so
> well. Your problem is an example of what can go wrong.

Yes, I saw that warning... in the section on epel.  There's also a
general 'mea non culpa' on that page about using 3d party repos in
general.  For that matter, I'm pretty sure that there's a "we don't
guarantee" clause packaged somewhere in every linux distro.  I even got
that line at work from paid-for redhat support in regard to a paid-for
redhat system.  If I stopped doing things that "might not work", I'd be
fastened to the couch with cobwebs.  I tried several of packages from
epel and they worked-- at least I haven't traced any specific problem
back to epel... well, until now... with your help.  Point is, I don't
feel much tech shame for getting a package from epel.  I figure that if
it was a terrible repo, it would say so in the centos wiki... or epel
wouldn't be listed there at all.

> epel is one of the big 3rd party repos, rpmforge is another.
>
> you are installing libdvdread from epel and trying to install
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly from rpmforge.
> Unfortunately the former doesn't have the right lib version for the latter.

Right, and that's what was bugging me from the start: I had
libdvdread.0.4 installed and gstreamer-plugins-ugly wanted a *lower*
version.  Aren't all the capabilities/functions from the 0.3 version in
v.0.4?  My hunch was that, yes, they would all be there.  This is basic
upward compatibility, a part of what linux has been about for decades.
If I had the time, I'd compare the two libdvdread library files to find
out for sure.  The point of it would be to find out why the
gstreamer-plugins-ugly rpm complains about the newer libdvdread version.
 To my mind, that simply shouldn't happen... might be an error in the
way it was packaged.

> One solution would be to give higher priority to rpmforge over epel.
> Then uninstall [the epel] libdvdread, and yum install
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly should properly pull in the rpmforge libdvdread.

Yes!!  That works... at least to get both of those packages installed at
the same time.  However, totem is still broke; i.e., it's still telling
me that I'm missing a plug-in when I try to play a movie (mpeg-1 or wmv).

Hmmm.  I didn't mention this previously for the sake of simplicity, but
 few hours ago I did have both libdvdread.0.4 and gstreamer-plugins-ugly
installed at the same time and was able to play a movie (mpeg-1) in
totem.  But "yum update" complained about it, so I figured I should fix
it.  :(  If anyone from redhat or someone packaging gstreamer should be
reading here, this might be a direction to look into.

Thanks again, Nicolas.  You did help, but I guess totem needs more than
you and I together can give it.