[CentOS] Centos/Linux Disk Caching, might be OT in some ways

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jan 26 05:41:31 UTC 2010

JohnS wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 08:19 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Are complicated relationships being stored in postgresql and not in
>> mysql? I do not know how things are now but mysql has a history of only
>> being good for simple selects.
>
> Selects can get very upity for mysql as in "VIEWS".  They can do Concat,
> Inner Join and Outter among many more things.  VIEW myview as SELECT can
> do some very very logical calcs and predictions.  I promise it is not
> just for simple selects.

By 'being good only for simple selects' I meant performance wise. Which
is what this thread is all about - performance. Sure you can make
complicated queries on mysql but compared to postgresql they would take
quite some time. Again, this is based on stuff in the past. Maybe mysql
has improved now.

I am just happy that more stuff started supporting postgresql before the
Sun buyout. They would have had some time to mature instead of a frantic
'we need to add/convert to postgresql just in case'. But I will still go
for mysql with connection caching if it is just a simple table lookup
that needs to be remotely querable.