[CentOS] Centos/Linux Disk Caching, might be OT in some ways

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:51:12 UTC 2010

MySQL's acquisition was one of the factor, the client wants to keep
everything on the opensource side as far as possible.

On the technical side, all tables are using the InnoDB engine because
myISAM doesn't support either. Also previously during development, it
was discovered that on some particular application/function, MyISAM
caused a heavy load that went away after switching to InnoDB.

Also, as part of my idea was to subsequently put the tables on
different disks for better improvement. Postgresql supports that while
MySQL appears to require all the tables remain on the same filesystem.

There were other considerations that was discussed internally
previously but without digging up docs, off hand, these are the key
factors I can recall that drove the decision to eventually replace
MySQL with Postgresql.