[CentOS] need some help with compiling mod_gnutls

Tobias Weisserth

tobias.weisserth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 19:22:35 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

I want to build mod_gnutls. The problem: CentOS' version of GNUTLS is too
old to link against, so I compiled and installed GNUTLS from source and put
it into /opt where it doesn't hurt the already installed GNUTLS. Now I have
trouble linking against this version as the autoconf buildchain in
mod_gnutls does not find the newer version.

I tried like this:

./configure -with-libgnutls=/opt/lib
./configure -with-libgnutls=/opt/bin

I get this from configure:

checking for libgnutls - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** An old version of LIBGNUTLS (1.4.1) was found.
*** You need a version of LIBGNUTLS newer than 2.4.0. The latest version of
*** LIBGNUTLS is always available from ftp://gnutls.hellug.gr/pub/gnutls.
***
*** If you have already installed a sufficiently new version, this error
*** probably means that the wrong copy of the pkg-config shell script is
*** being found. The easiest way to fix this is to remove the old version
*** of LIBGNUTLS, but you can also set the PKG_CONFIG environment to point
to the
*** correct copy of pkg-config. (In this case, you will have to
*** modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf
*** so that the correct libraries are found at run-time))
configure: error:
***
*** libgnutls was not found. You may want to get it from
*** http://www.gnutls.org/
***

I don't understand this. I already set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to
/opt/lib/pkgconfig (according to pkg-config manpage) but that doesn't work.

What's the easiest way to make mod_gnutls link against GNUTLS as installed
in /opt/lib?

thanks,

Tobias W.