[CentOS] Seamonkey (Mozilla) web browser for CentOS 5.4?

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 22:37:10 UTC 2010

MHR wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Greg Bailey<gbailey at lxpro.com>  wrote:
>> Robert Heller wrote:
>>> Does the Seamonkey (Mozilla) web browser exist for CentOS 5.4?  It seems
>>> to be missing from the standard repository.
>>>
>> Seamonkey 1.0.9 is included with CentOS 4.X, but CentOS 5 builds never
>> had any seamonkey RPMs, as upstream packaged Firefox and Thunderbird
>> instead.
>>
>> For CentOS 5, I've previously used RPMs available from:
>> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.0/contrib/FC_RPMS/
>>
>> Although there's directories for the "2.0.1" and "2.0.2" releases, the
>> FC_RPMS haven't (yet) been built for those.
>>

> I use SeaMonkey as my primary browser all the time, but I don't depend
> on the RPMs for it.  I just get the L&G tar.bz2 file from Mozilla.org
> and install it.  Works fine for me, although I sometimes have to add
> the plug-in links by script....
>
> (Running CentOS 5.4 on AMD X4....)
>
> mhr

I've been using Seamonkey from the Mozilla site with mixed experience.
It handles graphics/videos better than Firefox, but goes off to lala
land chewing up cpu cycles to 95% for minutes at a time.  Top indicates
that it is seamonkey-bin that is loading the cpu, so I doubt that it is
a CentOS (5.4) issue.

Dick

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1755