[CentOS] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Jan 28 23:18:28 UTC 2010

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> nate, why not? Is it simply unavoidable at all costs to mount on system on
> another, over a WAN? That's all I really want todo

If what you have now works, stick with it.. in general network
file systems are very latency sensitive.

CIFS might work best *if* your using a WAN optimization appliance,
I'm not sure how much support NFS gets from those vendors.

iSCSI certainly is the worst, block devices are very intolerant of

AFS may be another option though quite a bit more complicated, as
far as I know it's a layer on top of an existing file system that
is used for things like replication

I have no experience with it myself.