[CentOS] Browser related question

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:28:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> How does one monitor if a site is being accessed using browser?
> IOW, I just want to know if a user has launched a session thru Firefox.
> I basically want to know if a user has tried to access the webserver
> and unable to reach it and log such instances.
> I am using cron and curl to seperately monitor the link.
> Any clues?
> Centos 5.2/Gnome/Firefox 3.0.16

It's clear what it is you're trying to do, but If you're running
Apache, turn on

     CustomLog "logs/access_log" combined

The default is

     CustomLog "logs/access_log" common

It will not only log the browser type, it will also log the OS in the
access_log file.

For errors accessing files, see the error_log.

If the client can't reach the site, then it should be clear the server
won't be able to log the attempt.

      Enjoy global warming while it lasts.