[CentOS] Backup server

Wed Jan 13 10:04:20 UTC 2010
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Hi all,

I've built a new backup server for our linux-clients.

Is Amanda the way to go for a backup-solution?

It seems to be pretty powerful, if a bit finickety to set up initially.

The way we currently do backups is to use rsync from the clients to two
folders on an older server that rolls over every other week. This worked fine
for a while, but the rsync is cumulative and the users generate a tremendous
amount of data every day after having had a client upgrade with newer and
hilariously fast computers for calculation. The previous *nix-admin set it up
this way with rsync, meaning that we in the long run have data that is way
obsolete and get  increasingly difficult to maintain.

As the backup solution must be next to free, ie "free beer", Amanda looks
suitable.

What do you use for backing up data?
--
BW,