[CentOS] Centos and RadeonHD 4570

Sun Jan 17 21:44:21 UTC 2010
Lucian @ lastdot.org <lucian at lastdot.org>

Hi guys,

Recently I've done a bad bad thing, buying a laptop with an ATI card.
The card itself is supposed to be quite decent performance wise, but
the ATI drivers still suck a lot.
I haven't yet tried booting Centos on this laptop, but I used a Fedora
12 LiveCD. Fedora displays things nicely, but no 3D accel (I like to
play OpenArena/Tremulous every now and then).
After some serious googling I learned that I cannot even install ATI
Catalyst driver on Fedora, because of too new Xorg.
Do you have any success stories with running Centos and have 3D
acceleration on this video card?

lspci reports:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN
[Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92
[MobilityRadeon HD 4500 Series]

Yes, 2 gpus. I think it's this hybrid thing:
http://ati.amd.com/technology/hybridgraphics/technology.html

Your feedback will be appreciated. I will not end up using Win7.