[CentOS] xterm clones on VNC problem

Wed Jan 27 17:36:50 UTC 2010
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

I've been scratching my head over this one after setting up VNC on
another existing server. Followed the instructions here
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server as usual. It worked
initially. However since this server is going to be installed in a
rather inconvenient place and having done pretty stupid things before,
I decided for the first time to try the portion that says

# Add the following line to ensure you always have an xterm available.
( while true ; do xterm ; done ) &

So that I don't inevitably do something like kill kde and find myself
unable to do anything.

The problem now is, for some reason, I get 4 xterm window after
restarting (or stop/start) vncserver. The symptoms now are

1. Consistently, of the four xterms window, #3 and #4 can be closed.
#1 and #2 will resurrect themselves.

*** Removing the while loop from /home/user/.vnc/xstartup does not change this.

2. if I comment out this line in /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
I will not get  this problem. At least there will only be one xterm
window in what I think is the primitive twm desktop.

3. If I then uncomment the xinitrc line, I get back 4 xterms window
after restarting vncserver. It's like KDE is somehow insisting on
running that while loop even after I've deleted it from the xstartup
file.

How do I fix this? Admittedly I could simply minimize the two xterm
windows and/or switch virtual desktop and ignore them. but obviously
something is wrong and it makes me uncomfortable.

Everything is 5.3 standard, I've not touched the default X11 config
nor xinitrc. Except I did do an yum update to current.