[CentOS] which program/command (perl, vi, or sed) is better

Fri Jan 1 17:09:24 UTC 2010
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 08:45 -0800, ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have apache log file around 7.6G and record half year
>
> Which program/command (perl, vi, or sed) is better to extract the data by date?

Your question is a little too general.  You want to extract what portion
of the data, into what?

If you want a complete record, you apparently have one already.  If you
want to keep everything, just run it through bzip2 before storing it.

If you just want reports, look at something like webalizer.

If you want something "custom", you will have to decide exactly what you
want.  Perl or sed or grep could probably extract it, or you could make
a program in python or C or whatever.

But the first task is to define exactly what you want.