[CentOS] Installing over network

Tue Jan 5 13:28:03 UTC 2010

On 01/05/2010 12:33 PM, Christoph Maser wrote:
> Since redhat does not accept sparc-specific patches it is simply to
> frustrating to do the sparc thing. And what is the furture of the sparc
> architecture in general?

Are redhat really refusing sparc specific patches ? I know the fedora
sparc guys are moderately active, and there is sparc support in anaconda
/ yum / rpm  and glibc..

I'm looking at it from the point of view that there is a lot of sparc
hardware around, and CentOS, with its long life span is an ideal
candidate to run on there - also given that the base does not change
that much during the lifeterm, the amount of engineering that needs
doing to make CentOS/sparc happen isnt that much, and once done - may
not be too much of work.

If there is momentum around the idea and there are a few people willing
to take up the efforts required I am quite happy to work with and make
sure that a CentOS Sparc effort is possible. But I dont want to take on
the whole thing myself - and my own sparc experience is quite limited (
although I have a blade1k and a netra 240, both of which I will make
available to the effort ).

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh